Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: GCode: open source paintball gun board/software

The code examples for that MSP stuff don't much simpler than PIC at all. What is it about them that is better?

Insider
    I hated having to code in assembly, looks like compilers are available now though. Obviously this depends on which silicon you use but on the MSP interrupts seem to "just work", generally more code space, better onboard functionality, 16 bit (though I see some sort of 16 bit PIC is now available... for 32 bit I prefer Cortex), dev board costs, easier to code (more modern architecture), etc. At the end of the day a lot of it is subjective though.

Supports Inception Designs
    Ya know, when I first developed the eye folks thought it was pretty easy... until they tried to copy it and discovered how intricate that eye logic really needed to be. I spent LONG hours at it, lots of frustration. Good luck to you in this.

Another thing, the board I am designing will be fully USB accessible and I am planning to release it as an open-source project, so if you can wait a month or two I may have exactly what you are trying to adapt an Arduino to do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Ya know, when I first developed the eye folks thought it was pretty easy... until they tried to copy it and discovered how intricate that eye logic really needed to be. I spent LONG hours at it, lots of frustration. Good luck to you in this.
    I'm sure what I've got now is extremely basic, but it does seem to work well enough. I don't know if you've had a chance to look over the code I wrote, but I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions you may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Another thing, the board I am designing will be fully USB accessible and I am planning to release it as an open-source project, so if you can wait a month or two I may have exactly what you are trying to adapt an Arduino to do for you.
    I'll definitely pick up one of your boards to play with when it's available, and one of the ones Jamie is working on as well. I'll still end up designing some of my own boards and having some PCBs made up, though. I'm sure you can appreciate that DIY desire.

Speaking of which, I received my prototype boards from OSH Park on Thursday and built one up. I got lucky and it appears to all work. Since I made the board on the large side (1" x 2") to make home assembly and testing easier, my next order of business is to do a design shrink to make it more practical for use. If you want any help with your hardware design and code adventure you can email any time.

Quote Originally Posted by moorejl57 View Post
    Speaking of which, I received my prototype boards from OSH Park on Thursday and built one up. I got lucky and it appears to all work. Since I made the board on the large side (1" x 2") to make home assembly and testing easier, my next order of business is to do a design shrink to make it more practical for use. If you want any help with your hardware design and code adventure you can email any time.
    That would definitely be appreciated. When I get some CAD files done up finally I'll run 'em by you.

Messing around with this PIC stuff so far makes me REALLY appreciate how simple Arduino is to deal with. I've at least got MPLAB X and the XC8 compiler chain installed and working now, and was able to compile and upload a test program directly to the PIC18F4550 I have.

I'm working on setting up a Pinguino board to try that with.

Insider
    I forgot about PICAXE, they had an affordable and palatable method of MCU prototyping & hobby work before Arduino. Penguino or a BASIC interpreter should work well though.

BASIC. *shudder*