Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: GCode: open source paintball gun board/software

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
    Hey Jamie! I was wondering what happened to you and NOX. I will definitely take a look at those files. I need to spend some time with Eagle CAD tutorials and figure that piece of software out. Hopefully I can get to that within the next week or two. I've got a few more thinks on my todo list, and need to get some more real world testing done before I call my code 1.0, but it's quite close.
    You might take a look at KiCad as well since it is open source and gaining in popularity over Eagle according to OSH Park.

Quote Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
    ...and modified the trigger code to debounce the release in addition to the pull...
    Try doing trigger debounce only on the release. You want your firing sequence to begin as soon as the first trigger signal is available and debouncing it on the pull will add an unnecessary delay.
    Last edited by moorejl57; 06-25-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moorejl57 View Post
    You might take a look at KiCad as well since it is open source and gaining in popularity over Eagle according to OSH Park.
    Yeah, I've played around with that one a little, also. I read in an interview with the founder of OSH Park that more than 50% of the boards the produce are designed using KiCad. That's a pretty solid endorsement.

Try doing trigger debounce only on the release. You want your firing sequence to begin as soon as the first trigger signal is available and debouncing it on the pull will add an unnecessary delay.
    Hmm... That'll probably work well after I've converted my code to a state machine since the bounce would be sorted out before the dwell time is up anyway. Thanks.

The debounce code I'm using doesn't seem to waste a lot of time, though. Instead of delaying, it waits for a certain number of consistent, sequential reads. That's configurable, now, but I'm playing around with the idea of making it automatically debounce itself without having to set anything, by tracking the number of bounce signals there are per shot. I haven't written any code to that effect yet, but I'll probably get to it within the next week or so.

So if a newb to board code, like me, wanted to start working on messing around with the code to see what I can do, what software would I need and are there any easy to read books etc. on the code it needs to be written in?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    So if a newb to board code, like me, wanted to start working on messing around with the code to see what I can do, what software would I need and are there any easy to read books etc. on the code it needs to be written in?
    All you need for software on your computer is the Arduino software, which is free. Really, you can use any text editor or IDE to edit the files, and then just open up the main .ino file in Arduino to compile and upload it to the board.

It'd be good to know some C programming. I'd recommend Practical C Programming as a starting point.

I generally like the quality of O'Reilly books, so Getting Started with Arduino might be worth checking out.

And there's also Arduino Cookbook, which I've browsed a bit when looking up how to do certain things.

The Arduino Uno and Arduino Nano are both good starter boards.

Holy shit, YEAH! I've wanted to program my Arduino Uno to work in a marker, but it's too bulky. This thing is fucking perfect! Now time to finish reading the post.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    Holy shit, YEAH! I've wanted to program my Arduino Uno to work in a marker, but it's too bulky. This thing is fucking perfect! Now time to finish reading the post.
    FYI, I got a notification email this morning from Tindie that the Femtoduino with USB is in stock again.

Got my Femtoduino boards. I was wondering if you had a parts list and a schematic to wire it all up. I would like to start playing around with all of this. My knowledge of programming is about zero. but i am a quick learner.

Been a very busy couple of weeks and I haven't been able to do much with my board/code, other than reading up on PIC Microcontroller programming, and I'm coming along nicely with that. I'm just waiting on my pic programmer to arrive so I can actually do something. I have a small assortment of pic chips to play with.

I FINALLY was able to play with the Viking today. I used it all day at practice for foXball and it worked perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by daveczrn View Post
    Got my Femtoduino boards. I was wondering if you had a parts list and a schematic to wire it all up. I would like to start playing around with all of this. My knowledge of programming is about zero. but i am a quick learner.
    Awesome!

I've updated my prototype schematic. Although it has an Arduino Nano in it, just use the same pins on a Femtoduino. (I haven't found a femto part for use in Fritzing yet). Here's the schematic. Open this file with Fritzing.

As for parts, if you're using it with a Viking, then you'll need these Molex connectors to plug in all of the components.

TX LED, RX LED, trigger microswitch and power switch are all stock Viking components.

The diodes I got on ebay. They were labeled as "Diodes,Inc. 1A/50V Rectifier Diode S1A-13" and sold by this account.

I'm currently using these voltage regulators.

Let me know if you have any problems/questions.

Insider
    I'm really off PICs myself. They were okay a decade ago, but I prefer chips like the MSP430 nowadays (the LaunchPad bridges the gap between an Arduino and something you'd use in production).

I'd prefer to stick with Arduino for things I build myself due to the programming simplicity. BUT, I've had some requests to make my code work on boards that use PICs, so I'm looking into that. I'm going to give Pinguino a try on some PIC18F chips I have now.